About a year ago I was brainstorming one night about the future of internet marketing. I wrote in big letters on the top of my whiteboard:
Mobile + Pay per call = Future
With mobile penetration continuing to go through the roof, and pay per call technology rapidly evolving, those 2 points will converge at some point. We are still in the very early stages of the merging of these technologies. The few early players in the game up until now have been mobile service providers who can implement their own customer pay per call display ad solutions. Now Google has quietly introduced click to call, allowing everyone to access mobile users with a real solution. Basically a mobile user sees an ad and clicks it to be connected directly to the number, rather than having to enter the number and dial manually. The clicks are charged to same price as regular web clicks.
As a marketer, I immediately thought how this could work with pay per call. I do a lot of work with pay per call on local lead gen, so click to call seemed like a perfect fit. Now you can actually integrate pay per click, pay per call, and click to call in one easy step.
Pay per click ad > Click to call > Pay per call number
Why would you want to do this? Here’s an example:
• Say you were running a local lead gen offer. You had a unique trackable phone number set up to capture phone leads (pay per call).
• Now say you wanted to reach local mobile users browsing the internet on smartphones like IPhones, Droids, Blackberry, etc. (pay per click)
• Finally, you want those users to be able click directly on the ad from their phone, rather than having to dial the number into their phone. (click to call)
Some of the benefits:
- You get the benefit of 2 options in your ad, clicks or calls
- You get the increase CTR from having they extra information on your ad. Any extra information in your ad, like a phone number, makes it stand out from the rest. It also adds legitimacy to your ad.
- If they do click through on the phone number, you have the huge benefit of excellent phone lead conversion rates, compared to website conversion.
- You could even use the click to call reports from Google to track and bill your local lead gen client! A built in tracking solution.
Setup is simple, in the Campagin settings under Networks, Devices and Extensions, click the checkbox to enable click to call under ad extensions. Enter your phone number (your trackable pay per call number). Then under Devices, to make sure check the box to show ads to iphones and other mobile devices with browsers.
Keep in mind this is not going to be a large traffic source right now, but I think is going to be huge going forward. Start playing around with it now before it gets saturated.
Interested in this kind of local lead gen stuff? Then you’re going to want to sign up to my new list! Something big is coming soon.